Monday, April 7, 2014

We are Landing Where?

We are in a small Cessna plane flying low over the Great Barrier Reef. In a plane this small, I feel the vulnerability of being in the air without a safety net. Each bit of turbulence and I'm looking at the front controls and the facial expressions of the pilot for any sign that something is amiss. He remains calm and the dials remain steady, but I maintain vigilance and compntinue to eye the unforgiving 3,000 foot drop into shark infested, deceptively beautiful aqua water that stretches forever. I look over and both kids are reading, completely unaware that I am keeping the plane aloft through my Jedi-like concentration. They seem to be unaffected by the view or the plane.

We fly low over a gorgeous, small coral island. For a moment I think it might be Lady Elliot island, but as I look closer, I can see the whole island but no airstrip. It's a shame, as the island is stunning, but other than a grassy field in the middle of the island, there's no place to land.

We pass by and I'm looking ahead for the next island when we swing around and drop rapidly towards that grassy field.

Seriously? Again, I eye the captain for signs of panic - you can do things like watch the captain and his controls when the plane is this small - and still, he shows a calm, almost bored expression.

I brace myself as we hit the ground, rolling over potholes, irrigation systems and the uneven grassy field. Birds by the dozens fly overhead and people are waving from the ground. We step off and I swear, we are in a paradise, or maybe Jurassic Park. As we are walk across the field/airstrip to the nearly building, a couple in swimsuits with snorkeling gear saunters across the airstrip and into the jungle, in search of the coral gardens. It is surreal.


The buildings are efficiently comprised, with the dive shop adjacent to the "departure lounge" the small six seated room for people waiting to leave the island. Everything is balmy and tropical. The restaurant overlooks the lagoon, which is like no other lagoon I've been to. I expect Bo Derek her perfect body and signature corn rows to emerge from the water any second



We've been here all of ten minutes and I already know three nights is not long enough.



 

2 comments:

  1. Such a cute selfie, Jenny - and loving the island photos. Looks like such a great vacay so far! I am really wanting your opinion on Oz vs. NZ vs. CR for a family vacation (being partial to Oz since I've never been, W to CR). Anyway, love that all 3 of you are blogging. Enjoy, enjoy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jojo! Oooh, tough choices. I vote for Oz if you want a vacation/adventure. CR if you want an easy vacation. xoxo

      Delete