Saturday, January 10, 2015

Korea. Animated Figures, Royalty and Spicy Chicken





Layovers are underrated.  My 12 hours in Korea has come to a close and I am sincerely sad to see it end.  This country is fascinating and quirky and I can't get enough of my brief stay. 

The Korean government made a brilliant move in advertising free "transit tours" throughout the airport.  A transit tour is for passengers like me, with long layovers, just passing through.  They offer anywhere from one to five hour tours of Seoul and the surrounding areas for free.  The tours come complete with a heated bus, a tour guide, a few cultural stops and time for lunch.  It’s just enough to give someone a taste of Korea and a wanting for more.

But, before I knew Korea would jump to the top of my bucket list, they had me at the prospect of fresh air and  street food.

Here are some of my favorite moments and ponderings about this country.
 
Our cultural stops were all punctuated with animated characters.  I don't pretend to understand the phenomenon but I found it highly amusing. 

Entrance to a cultural park
A small museum dedicated to the distant history of the royalty and recent history of war and occupation.

Entrance to historical museum of royalty.  The Christmas tree in the background is bonus.

Drive by the police Station.

Police Station (notice the suspicious characters on the left?)

The traditional mall was my favorite place.  Best spicy, fried chicken I have ever had.

Spicy Fried Chicken.  Colonel Sanders take note.

  I got to dress like royalty and play "palace"
Overly enthusiastic geisha with the stone king
 So long.  I heart Korea.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I hear Korea now too! Looks fun and I'm drooling about that chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think royalty garb suits you!!!!

    ReplyDelete