Rob talking. Well well well.......another day of high adrenaline with non-stop wide open action. With the daily 4 am man scream wake up call from the closing of the Queenstown bars, I rose out of bed to see a windy, rainy squall pass through town, and decided it wasn't quite time to get out of bed. Much later, after a beautiful egg n toast breakfast, colonel style, we eventually packed up and hit the road. After about 40 minutes of a beautiful scenic drive, we realized that not only we are driving on the wrong side of the road, we were going the wrong way. U-turn.....and back up, re-route to the original bungy jump. Upon arrival, we entered the bungy building and thought that we were in a Disney land ride. Loud music, huge round building, spiraling staircase, and lots of people...the adrenaline starts pumping immediately (even though I have no intentions of jumping off anything). This bridge/bungy operation was the first in the world and is set on a bridge over a tourmaline blue river surrounded by stunning mountains. Well, with my love of heights I felt that the need to throw myself off a 45 meter bridge was unnecessary, if not childlike. However my colleagues Jennifer and "the Colonel" felt that they must conquer the bungy, along with numerous other tourists from around the world. The Colonel was first up and marched up to the edge of the jumping area like a true soldier. There wasn't a gleam of fear in his eye as he performed a swan dive off the platform. A perfect 10 if I have ever seen one, without a peep of a scream I might add. Next was Jen, who after seeing the Colonel and several others cascade off the platform, marched up as well. Her bravery was next to none and as she performed a "triple Lindy" off the platform, I thought I heard an echo of "O S@&t" throughout the canyon walls. Jennifer's performance was that of a ballerina, graceful and yet stoic. However, the fun didn't stop here......after a wonderful picnic lunch and meander through Arrowtown, we arrived at our next destination. If you have been following our adventures, one couldn't imagine how we could out do or possible find something more "extreme", but yet New Zealand is the gift that keeps on giving. We found our way to the Shotover Jet boat river adventure. The following was perhaps the most exhilarating activity any of us have ever experienced. You board the jet boats on a raging river, surrounded by 200 foot canyons, crystal blue water and a sudden fear of what the heck did I just get myself into. With Kai and Mia safely in the middle seats, a crazy eyed Kiwi driver told us the rules....."it's pretty obvious that one wouldn't stand up or put their hand outside the boat at anytime"........and off we went! With an average speed of 80 kilo/hr, we sped through the narrow passages only inches away from the sides of the cliffs, holding on for dear life, screaming and thinking "what the hell am I doing on this boat"........one can't describe the fear and rush experienced on this ride, it was unbelievable! Most of the ride the river is only 30' wide and this guy has the boat pointed at every rock and bolder you think that there is no way you will be able to make it around but "el capitan" pulls off miracle after miracle. The kids couldn't get enough and definitely thought it was the highlight of the trip. If you are ever in Queenstown you have to experience the Shotover jet boats.
Now, once again we are about to sit down to another fabulous NZ meal, a whole beef tenderloin bbq'd, accompanied with Cita's famous garlic mash n Jen's sizzling salad.
Ta Ta
Rob "needs new underwear after the jet boat" Pennell

WOWOWOWOWOW!!!!! That is an awesome picture of you bungie jumping! I've never done it and I'm not sure I'm brave enough! Good job:-)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Angela. Once is enough!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! I always told myself I wanted to try everything once, but bungee jumping has always been on the bottom of the list...looks like you guys are having a fabulous trip, I love all the pictures!
ReplyDeleteSafe travels!
Laura